Thursday, July 9, 2009

Strange Solicitation

Ahh man its late and I would probably be better off sleeping than doing this. But....something interesting happened to me this evening and I want to document it before I forget.

I was driving down Peachtree Street on my way to my Wednesday evening Bible study when I hear a car honking. I wasn't sure if these honks were directed toward me but I looked anyway. To the left of me I see a man and a woman in a mid 90s white minivan. The man is trying to talk to me - generally speaking this cant be good.

Because my window was already down I decided to see what he wanted. Keep in mind this dialogue happened while driving 40 mph

Me: Yeah
Guy: Are you interested in getting any body work done on your car?
Me: What?
Guy: You know - scratches - I can fix those scratches on your car
Me: No - thank you.

Ok - I have heard of ALOT of goofy business ideas but this one has to take the cake. Driving around in your old school minivan (THAT NEEDS BODY WORK OF ITS OWN!!!) and soliciting customers can not be a profitable business. I'm sure this business model is about as profitable the company that put out the DVD rewinder.

What would he have done if I said "Oh yeah sure sounds good"? Would he have motioned for me to pull over into the Kroger parking lot so he could pull out his ball peen hammer and go to work on the Grandest?

Which brings me to another point - my car is NOT that beat up and if I was concerned about the 10 years worth of minor shopping cart dings I certainly wouldnt have it fixed on the fly by Miguel's Mobile Minivan Repair Shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment