Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Not to be confused with Leia


For some reason today I was thinking about words or phrases that I would really like to bring back into "style". These were all a mainstays in my vocabulary about 15 years ago and I suggest that we all begin using them again.


1) Psyche

2) Pshaw (pronounced 'SHAW' for those of you who werent cool in 1995)

3) Radi-cool. Not to be confused with radical. Actually I think I made that one up.


Ok - on to the real topic of the day. This topic is recycled but I still find it relevant.


Attention Princesses


"Hi my name is Becky and I like shopping, Gucci and guys who really care about me. I am sick of guys only wanting me for my looks. My favorite color is pink, I carry my dog Riley around the mall in his special doggy carry case (in his Burberry collar of course) I am a princess and deserve to be treated like one"


Sound familiar? It should...it seems like every girl I meet nowadays has this as her mantra. My history might be wrong but can you just call yourself a princess? I thought you had to be of royalty..well lets see what dictionary.com says.


A woman member of a royal family other than the monarch, especially a daughter of a monarch.


A woman who is a ruler of a principality.


A woman who is a hereditary ruler; a queen.


A noblewoman of varying status or rank.


The wife of a prince.


Hmm...seems like the incidence of these types of ladies would be quite rare. But somehow when I type "princess" into Myspace the search returns over 50 pages of girls who have bestowed this "crown" upon themselves. While these lovely ladies may be trying to be different, what they are actually doing is lumping themself into a category that is already full. Adding yourself to this category is really only making yourself fit in to a stereotype.


Thus..purchasing a 5 dollar crown from walmart and placing it atop your pretty blonde (or brown whatever) hair does not make you a princess, nor does it make guys want to have anything to do with you. Making your myspace pink and glitter filled does not make you a princess either. You are not in a cartoon, you do not have 3 ugly step sisters who make you clean the floor.


You are not a princess.


Thank you.


Much love,


King Jonathan

2 comments:

  1. What possessed you to search "princess?" Is my sister not keeping you busy enough?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I searched "princess" for the sole purpose of writing this blog.

    ReplyDelete