Sunday, June 21, 2009

Rationale for Anorexia

Wow it has been a while since I posted on here. So much for the whole "I'm going to post everyday" theory. Delusions of grandeur I'm sure.

Anyways - part of the reason I haven't posted in a while is probably because I have been ASLEEP. Why have I been so tired lately? Working long hours? - maybe. Working out a lot? - doubtful. Attempting to eradicate an addictive and deadly (exaggeration) chemical from my body? Absolutely.

To all of you who just gasped at the thought that I (Jonathan McAdams) could have an addiction, its time I came clean. I am (was) a heroin addict. You didn't think I was this thin naturally did you?

I started injecting back when I was in college. My addiction slowly built until I was spending nearly $300 dollars a day...

Ok not really.

I don't mean to mock addiction, its a serious matter that ruins thousands of lives. The thing I was addicted to was caffeine. For years I had been drinking 2 or 3 sodas per day. Not only is this bad for my health but it can also be massively expensive. Coke didn't become one of the world's largest corporations ($32B in revenue 2009) through its Dasani flavored water sales.

I had tried to get off the "juice" many times but always fell back into the arms of the sweet nectar. But this time I really think I'm going to beat this thing! Its been right about 3 weeks and aside from a Sprite at the movies I have been doing pretty good. In honor of my 3 week anniversary I am going to do a quick financial analysis of the savings I will see by cutting out the sodas.

Lets assume my daily consumption rate was 2.5 sodas. Some days I only had 1 and others times I went bonkers (remember that candy from when we were kids?) and had 5. That would make my weekly intake 17.5 units.

Now lets look at cost per unit - out of the 17.5 cokes per week I would say that about half were purchased at a restaurant or out of a vending machine. I'd say the average cost there is $2.00.

The other half would be purchased at the store in a 12 pack - around .33 cents each.

This makes my average $1.17 per soda or $20.50 per week.

$82.00 per month

$1066 per year - for the sake of argument lets say $1,000

I'm 28 now - assuming I live another 50 years I will save $50K just by not drinking soda!!! Amazing - thats like 3 Kias!

So what does all of this have to do with anorexia?

Imagine how much money you could save if you stopped eating all together. I'll let you know how that works out.






No comments:

Post a Comment